Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Departure of Mahendra and Sanghmitra

Departure of Mahendra and Sanghmitra

“You’re my eldest son and an heir to this throne, Mahendra,” the emperor said. “Whom would people of Magadh look upon with a hope now? They see their emperor in you. They need you.”

“They need you more than they need me, father,” Mahendra said. “You know that, don’t you? I know that you had a chance to leave your responsibilities and walk out of all in search of peace. Toward Nirvana. But you didn’t. Because if you had walked away, then this empire which you’ve made the greatest empire in the entire world, would’ve perished again. All that you’ve endured, all that you’ve dreamt of, would’ve been gone in vain. You chose the tough path. But I can’t. I know that I’m your eldest son and an heir to this throne. And I’m doing my duty as both. An ideal son should follow his father’s path and achieve what his father couldn’t. An ideal heir-apparent should do what his empire needs the most. And it needs Dharma. It needs righteousness. It needs you. There are very few people who could establish and re-establish righteousness in this world. But there are even fewer who can maintain the balance of that righteousness. Apparently, you’re the only one who has both power and knowledge to accomplish this. I didn’t deserve this throne anyway. No one deserves this throne. You… Your glory has made it so pure that no man could think of staining it with impurity of his heart. Not even me. Besides, I’m passing my crown of heir-apparent to Kunal. So allow us, father, so that I and Sanghmitra could spread yours and Lord Buddha’s messages around the world.”

The emperor sighed and glanced at Sanghmitra.

“Sanghmitra! You’re married. You’ve a family. Then why do you want to go?” the emperor asked.

“Firstly, I’m your daughter. And it is my duty to accomplish my father’s dream, just like Brother Mahendra has,” Sanghmitra replied confidently.

“I named you Mahendra – the conqueror of the worlds. I hope you conquer the world with your Dharma,” the emperor said and glanced at Sanghmitra. “If your mother were here, she would have been proud on both of you.”

“She is always with us,” Mahendra muttered. “However the history will remember only one man as the conqueror of the worlds, who has conquered three worlds with his purity and righteousness. You, O father! We have never seen Buddha. But we’ve seen you. We have seen the worst and the best of you. We’ve seen what divinity looks like.”

“Very well. Start your journey from the southern boundary. Beyond the ocean, there are kingdoms who awaits for righteousness to knock on their doors. Take a branch of Mahabodhi Tree and plant it there. It’ll grow into a great tree of righteousness. May you both succeed in your journey!” the emperor blessed.

Both Mahendra and Sanghmitra bowed before their father, their emperor for the last time before departing to a new world.

P.S.: The Scene has been created based on the true events.


~Bhargav Patel 

No comments:

Post a Comment